Sunday, November 05, 2006

sunday and aff jump level 2

Sunday started off with nice blue skies, so the sky diving was on !

for jump 2 we had to go out and fly forward for 6 seconds.

My jump went ok, but my alti was lagging a bit and i thought it still said
7K when it was infact 5K and time to pull !

the instructor told me to pull and rather than doing it, i started thinking
about it. . "why is he getting me to pull at 7k ? i have 2K more freefall
left. ..." i went for the rip cord but even then hisitated. . "is it just a
test, does he really want me to pull ?".

a rough grab of my pull arm in the rip cord told me that i was definately
supposed to pull... so finally i pulled.

canopy came out ok and i was at 3K. . .

hmm. oops.

anyway a debrief later and 2 things were learned:

1 - be altitude aware. . alti might lag or stick so you need to be aware of
altitude and time and ground (mine hadlagged and said 7k when it was in
fact 5k)

2 - when the instructor says pull, PULL ! dont start asking yourself why he
is asking me to pull. . PULL THE FECKIN RIP CORD !!

anyway lesson learned. since i did the manouvre ok and pulled my own rip
cord i can progress to level 3.

level 3 is a 90 degree turn in the air. It also involves 1 instructor
letting go of you and maybe both.

the other major new thing will be that once i am under canopy it is up to me
to get into the holding area, make my landing approach and land, without
any help from people on the ground with arrows or battons. .

so, its 4pm now and we are waiting for the wind to die down. doesnt look to
promising though :-(

well, wind stayed gusty, so no more jumps today. and that was at 6pm.

so another day survived and now ready for level3!

tonight is the other couple staying with barrys last night, so we are all
going out to primi (restuarsnt) tonight. its pretty good: italian stlye
with a SA twist.

red sky tonight so i reckon itll be a good day for aff tomorrow. hopefully
get a few jumps in before we go do 2 or 3 days of paramotoring.

barry is coming back just now though, so if dolphin bay looks good, i might
get a few evening paramotor flights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home